Wexler Boley & Elgersma is currently investigating potential class action claims stemming from a recent announcement of a massive recall of certain Sportmix dry dog and cat food products following the illness and deaths of dozens of dogs. If you have purchased Sportmix dry dog or cat food, Contact Wexler Boley & Elgersma to discuss potentially involvement in a Sportmix pet food recall lawsuit.
Midwestern Pet Foods Inc. (Midwestern) of Evansville, Indiana manufactures and distributes numerous types of dog and cat food products, including the popular Sportmix product line. On December 30, 2020, Midwestern announced the Sportmix dog and cat food recall, in conjunction with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), after tests revealed the food contained potentially fatal amounts of aflatoxin, a toxin and often fatal type of mold that can grow on the corn and grain used in the pet food. The Sportmix recall initially included six dry dog and cat food lines, but on January 11, 2021, the Sportmix recall expanded to include all Midwestern pet food products containing corn and made in Midwestern’s Oklahoma plant. The recall now includes over 1,000 different product lots. You may access the FDA’s alert concerning the Sportmix recall here.
According to the FDA, “pets are highly susceptible to aflatoxin poisoning because, unlike people, who eat a varied diet, pets generally eat the same food continuously over extended periods of time. If a pet’s food contains aflatoxins, the toxins could accumulate in the pet’s system as they continue to eat the same food.”
Symptoms of aflatoxin poisoning include:
- Decreased appetite
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Jaundice (yellowing) of the eyes, gums, or skin
If your dog or cat is experiencing one or more of these symptoms and you believe they have eaten products affected by the Sportmix pet food recall, the FDA advises that you contact your veterinarian immediately.
Products Included in the Sportmix Pet Food Recall
Potential claimants who are providing information for a possible Sportmix pet food class action lawsuit include consumers who purchased one or more of the following recalled Sportmix products:
- Pro Pac Adult Mini Chunk, 40 lb. bag
- Pro Pac Performance Puppy, 40 lb. bag
- Splash Fat Cat 32%, 50 lb. bag
- Nunn Better Maintenance, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 15 lb. bag
- Sportmix Original Cat, 31 lb. bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Maintenance, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Protein, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Energy Plus, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Stamina, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix Stamina, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 40 lb. bag
- Sportmix Bite Size, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 44 lb. bag
- Sportmix High Energy, 50 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 16.5 lb. bag
- Sportmix Premium Puppy, 33 lb. bag
You may locate lot code information on the back of bag, appearing in a three-line code, with the top line in format “EXP 03/03/22/05/L#/B###/HH:MM”
If you purchased any Sportmix pet food product, you may have legal options including potential participation in a Sportmix pet food recall class action lawsuit. Please submit the form on this page or call 312-346-2222 and ask to speak with a WBE attorney who will promptly provide you with additional information.